We more and more appreciate the power of natural ingredients. We look for them in creams, cosmetics for hair, toners, balms. As it turns out plant-based care betters synthetic products. Inconspicuous plants hold great power and if we get them a chance they can rejuvenate the skin and hair expertly. Which extracts will come handy in your beauty routine?
Plant extracts – what are those?
Have you ever wondered how plant-based extracts end up in your cosmetics? Those are obtained from whole plants or their parts using thinner extraction. That where the ‘extract’ part comes from.
Those can be powdered or liquid (with glycerine, alcohol, or propylene glycol). There are also combined oil-based extracts, such as monoi oil, which is probably the most popular cosmetic of this type in the world.
Plant-based extracts in cosmetology – action, and function
Extracts in cosmetology are also known as active components. It means that those are responsible for very specific effects. They actually affect the skin functions which means that they ensure visible effects on the skin or hair. What can those be?
- inhibiting aging processes,
- antioxidant action,
- absorption of UV radiation,
- antibacterial action,
- antiseptic action,
- calming irritations,
- regeneration, exfoliation, and renewal of the epidermis,
- gentle exfoliation.
The most important plant extracts in cosmetics
- Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract) holds stimulating, anti-inflammatory, regenerating action, ensures suppleness, speeds up wounds healing, calms irritations.
It’s perfect for skin with irritations, sensitive, acne, mature, and dry skin types. It is often used in toners and face masks.
- Pineapple (Ananas Comosus Fruit Extract) – has revitalized, regenerating, calming, anti-swelling, and anti-inflammatory action. Due to it perfectly exfoliating the epidermis pineapple is often used in gentle enzymatic exfoliators, anticellulite balms and creams supporting wounds and scars healing.
- Arnica (Arnica Montana Extract) – relieves pain, holds anti-inflammatory, antibacterial action, eliminates bacteria and fungus, fortifies blood vessels, and improves skin appearance. Arnica extract is perfect for couperose skincare (reduces spider veins and prevents the creation of new ones).
- Red wine extract (Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Wine Extract) – it has antioxidant action, protects against harmful UV radiation, is anti-inflammatory, and works great for mature skin due to its anti-aging properties.
- Pomegranate extract (Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Extract) – an alternative for red wine extract. Pomegranate extract is often used in cosmetics with anti-aging properties and is most commonly used in shampoo, hair mask, hair conditioners because it regenerates damaged and gloss-devoided hair while restoring their vitality.
- Chestnut extract (Horse Chestnut Extract) – it’s not only great for skincare (mostly for couperose skin), but also as an ingredient in ointments and gel for tired feet. It has anti-swelling action and eliminates excess sweating while refreshing the feet. What is more, it takes care of couperose skin and eliminates spider veins.
- Coffee extract (Coffea Arabica Seed Extract) – good news for all ladies who fight with lack of suppleness and cellulite – coffee extract has slimming, anti-cellulite, antioxidant, anti-aging properties so you should look for it in products supporting slimming but also in under-eye cosmetics because coffee extract perfectly eliminates dark circles and puffiness.