With every year that passes, there are two things that change in each of us: our age and our physical appearance. Whether we like it or not (probably not), skin keeps ageing, and therefore it needs to be given constant attention. Do you know how to take care of mature skin correctly? Let us tell you what you should do to preserve youthful-looking appearance for longer.
For many women ageing is something that is hard to come to terms with. With passing time, they slowly lose stunning appearance and feel that there is something important and irreversible slipping through their fingers. Luckily, it becomes far easier to accept this after realizing why we age and what can be done about it. Indeed, you can’t stop the time but – if you do your best – you can visibly slow down skin ageing processes and help it remain young for longer.
Hormones. Put the blame on them!
The majority of changes that take place in a woman organism are caused by hormones. The endocrine system works like a front office managing our mood, our physical condition, shape and appearance.
Estrogen and progesterone are two key hormones having a significant and overwhelming influence on the way a woman looks – once their levels drop, skin becomes thin, flabby and irritation-prone. Significant decline of these two hormones contributes to reduction of sebum, which translates into impairment of the skin’s natural defense mechanisms.
Collagen. The secret of youth
When you’re getting older, there is another crucial skin constituent that vanishes from the body – collagen. It was proven that once a woman enters the menopause phase, the levels of collagen drop 30% throughout one year. This is a lot and has a significant consequence on the skin’s appearance because collagen = suppleness and resilience. The less collagen in skin, the more flabby the skin becomes. Obviously, more wrinkles and sagging follow.
No wonder why rejuvenating skin treatments with collagen make one of the most popular methods to slow down the time. Most commonly the treatments take the form of face creams of food supplements.
However, it’s worth realizing that there are more skin rejuvenation treatments to turn to. Indeed, it’s almost impossible to restore suppleness and resilience to the skin using just collagen, but this issue can be approached more holistically. What does it mean in practice?
How to take care of mature skin to enjoy the best results?
- Moisturize – the majority of skin concerns are caused by dehydration. It’s worth realizing that water makes up 75% of the human bodies. Skin needs it to remain supple, smooth and soft. Therefore, one of the best and easiest ideas helping you stay younger is day-to-day application of moisturizers – both creams and serums – after turning 25 and drinking at least 2 liters of fresh mineral water a day.
- Provide UV protection – the older the skin gets, the less resistant it becomes to external aggressors such as the sunlight, toxins and freezing weather. This is why the very basic action that has to be taken up in order to keep you away from premature ageing (including photo-ageing) is protection from UV and everything that has a negative influence on the skin.
- Nourish – crucial for all skin types, yet having the immense importance for mature skin is nourishment. The well-selected set of nutrients equals the recipe for rejuvenation. For that reason, it’s worth supplying the body with vitamins, minerals and good fatty acids as well as applying nutrient-rich facial creams and vegetable oils.
- Use anti-oxidants – presumably every woman has heard about free radicals, yet few know what makes them so dangerous for the skin and how to defeat them. These are the free radicals that cause oxidative stress that contributes to accelerated skin ageing. In order to prevent its negative consequences, reach for anti-oxidants such as coenzyme Q10, retinol, vitamin C, vitamin E, some plant extracts (e.g. pomegranate, green tea, soy).
- Cleanse – the biggest crime committed against the insufficient cleansing of skin, incorrect makeup removal and – what is even worse – skipping makeup removal at bedtime. All of these wrongdoings make skin age faster. Therefore, it’s a good thing to learn and introduce a multi-stage skin cleansing procedure to your daily beauty ritual. For example, you can make use of a facial scrub, gel cleanser, vegetable oil and skin tonic.
- Massage skin regularly – another good idea is to do face workout daily and stimulate blood flow in the skin. You can use some basic motions such as massaging the skincare products into the face using circular movements and gentle tapping with fingertips. Facial yoga, which is a set of exercises to help the skin remain supple, makes another wonderful idea to follow.
It’s worth bearing in mind that there are more ideas that will help your skin remain youthful-looking for longer. Carry on looking for the pieces of skincare tips to expose your face to all-round treatments. Surely, the effects will leave you amazed.